Monday, July 26, 2010

My daughter wants to make ice cream from the snow. I did it as a child, but is it safe this day and age?

I would go ahead a make some, it would be fun and I don't think it will be bad for her, there are so many other things that we consume and breathe in that is worse for us and we don't even know about it.My daughter wants to make ice cream from the snow. I did it as a child, but is it safe this day and age?
I suppose...My daughter wants to make ice cream from the snow. I did it as a child, but is it safe this day and age?
you can make a snow cone from the snow


but not ice cream because that uses dairy





as long as it is not yellow or has bugs and dirt and stuff like that i say go for it...me and my friend ate snow for like 30 min. nothing happened





to the person below me:


acid rain would destroy everything in its path...and i have never even HEARD of acid snow
Let your daughter be a kid. Make the snow ice cream.
except for the yellow snow, the whiter and fresher it is the better they are.


of course a consistent diet of 'ice cream' snow cones has its down side.
I wouldn't risk it..





Acid rain = Acid snow,


and God knows whatever flies into those snowbanks..
Yeah, just make sure it's not yellow...
It is not “safe” to eat snow--regardless if color.





You need to know the reasons experts say it is not safe. Then, you can decide if snow cream is worth the risk.





Before I give you the experts’ reasons, I want to say that I think this fun family tradition, done in moderation, is not going to harm you or your child. My vote is “do it,” but here’s the experts’ warnings . . .





1. The things that can harm your child are toxins, bacteria, etc. These things are microscopic. Even if the snow is the white and cleanest looking—you cannot determine if it has a high level or toxins or bacteria.


2. The experts are afraid that the toxins are too high in our atmosphere—thus snow eating is not safe. In a 2002 study, researchers in California announced that male frogs exposed to even very low doses of a common weed killer developed multiple sex organs. ';I was very much surprised at the impact of atrazine on developing frogs';, said Tyrone B. Hayes of the University of California at Berkeley. ';Atrazine is the most commonly used weed killer in North America, and can be found in rainwater, snow runoff and ground water” (link to the study, below).


3. I won’t cite a study, but you know that bacteria can be a problem. Recently there was a big recall of bacteria-ridden spinach from the grocery stores. Obviously, the contamination was not discovered until people started getting sick. I’d say the process for our groceries is far more sanitized than our process of scooping some snow off our back porch.


4. There is also psychological-behavioral babble. They warn us that our child will be confused—and start eating the sand out of the sand box. LOL. Or, they will grow up with a deep rooted distrust of their parents who fed them something unclean. LOL.





Again, know the warnings, but don’t let the egg heads scare you from living your life. If you and your children have healthy bodies that readily fight off the toxins and bacteria in our air, then we don’t need to keep our kids in a bubble. If we did, they’d probably grow up to tell their therapist that their parents would not let them have fun. LOL.
I made a snow cone with my son just a few days ago. It's one of the experiences you just have to do as a child. Like playing in the rain. Just try to get the snow off somewhere you know doesn't have bugs, animal feces, ect. We used the snow off the trampoline that I had just scrubbed before winter....
just let her do it u r only a kid once and what could be in the snow????
My opinion. The first snow to fall might not be as safe as the snow maybe 4 inches high. The first snow to fall should cleanse the atmosphere some and the later snow should be more pure--less dirt and acid stuff from the atmosphere. But--please--let her do it. Every child should get this experience. LOL Tell her to have fun and enjoy.
I do not know her age but children love to experiment and play pretend. Let her make the ice cream from the snow but I would not let her eat it. Play pretend to eat it with her but give her store bought to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment